The Latest Killer: Microwave Popcorn
Posted by wizeGurl
(9425 views) [E-Mail link]
|You've heard of black lung, the terrible condition caused by inhaling coal dust that has afflicted so many miners in the past. You have probably heard of mesothelioma, a rare cancer caused by breathing in asbestos particles. But have you ever heard of the dreaded "popcorn lung"? And could it happen to you?|
It sounds like a joke, but it's not. Scientists have identified the chemical diacetyl--one of the many components of "buttery flavor" as it manifests in microwave popcorn--is the likely culprit. Over time, it has sickened, and even killed, hundreds of food factory workers exposed to diacetyl fumes. Lawsuits are in the works, of course.
But now, it seems, there has been at least one case of popcorn lung outside a factory, in a man who ate extra-butter-flavored popcorn several times a day for years.
"We cannot be sure that this patient's exposure to butter flavored microwave popcorn from daily heavy preparation has caused his lung disease," cautioned Dr. Cecile Rose, Aa pulmonary specialist at Denver's National Jewish Medical and Research Center. "However, we have no other plausible explanation."
Popcorn makers promise to cut future use of the potentially deadly chemical in their popcorn. In the meantime, try to resist breathing in that delicious popcorn smell fresh out of the microwave....
Posted by ned on 2007-09-06 12:31:12
|I say spank them, just spank them real real really hard, and do it national television, and spank em till they cry! and don't get some little guy to do it, Get a really big mean looking guy to do it!|
It's the only way they learn!
Posted by JSTR808 on 2007-09-10 02:34:04
|is some nasty stuff. I hear the factory workers can't even stand the smell of it.|
Capitolism at its best.
I also say give em a spank.
Posted by Emma on 2007-09-13 19:20:31
|interesting. very interesting.|