Sugar-Free Foods May Be Fatal To Dogs
Posted by Pile
(8953 views) [E-Mail link]
|Keep those sugarless treats out of Fido's reach. Veterinarians warned on Friday that a commonly used sweetener, Xylitol, might cause liver failure in dogs, and perhaps even kill them.|
Their report in the Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association appears to strengthen the suspected link between the sugar substitute xylitol, thought to make dogs sick, and possible liver failure.
Xylitol, a naturally occurring product, is found in many sugar-free chewing gums, candies, baked goods and toothpastes.
Researchers Sharon Gwaltney-Brant and Eric Dunayer with staff at a poison unit of the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals in Urbana, Illinois, gathered information on eight dogs treated between 2003 and 2005 after eating products containing xylitol.
Each dog became ill, and five died or had to be put down because of liver failure, possibly from ingesting xylitol.